Virtual memory

Total energy, geometry optimization, DFT+U, spin....

Moderator: bguster

bourgeois
Location: Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, CNRS Orsay (France)

Virtual memory

Post by bourgeois » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Dear Abinit users,

I'm currently running calculations on quite big unit cells (let's say 50 to a bit more than 100 atoms, so the number of bands is quite high). I run abinit in parallel mode, and the problem appears whether I specify paral_kgb (and related input variables) or not.
The log file estimates reasonable memory needs (less than 1Gb) and allocate it sucessfully:

Code: Select all

Biggest array : cg(disk), with    479.1432 MBytes.
-P-0000  leave_test : synchronization done...
 memana : allocated an array of    479.143 Mbytes, for testing purposes.
 memana : allocated     671.189 Mbytes, for testing purposes.
 The job will continue

When Abinit reads the Psp data and computes the splines, it crashes and returns an error saying "insufficient virtual memory":

Code: Select all

- pspatm: opening atomic psp file    O_Fabio.cpi
 Oxygen, fhi98PP : Troullier-type, GGA PBE, l=2 local (rs=rd=def.,rp=1.60)
   8.00000   6.00000  20050401                znucl, zion, pspdat
    6   11    2    2       473   0.00000      pspcod,pspxc,lmax,lloc,mmax,r2well
  No XC core correction.
  1.024700          amesh (Hamman grid)
forrtl: severe (41): insufficient virtual memory
rank 17 in job 1  compute-0-14.local_34170   caused collective abort of all ranks
  exit status of rank 17: killed by signal 9

Can anyone tell me about this virtual memory? What exactly is needed, for what purpose, how is it related to the input variables? I'm surprised cause each node I use for the parallel computation has 2Gb of RAM and the disk space available (which I though would be use as virtual memory) is really huge...

Thanks for your help!
Regards,

A. Bourgeois
Antonin Bourgeois
Postdoc @ Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, Université Paris-sud Orsay

pmanglade

Re: Virtual memory

Post by pmanglade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:36 am

Hi,
There is actually nothing special about the virtual memory. It's just referring to the RAM + swap space. Have you tried to monitor your memory usage on various node (using top or a system monitoring tool). It could be interesting to see if Abinit really launches a single job on each node (for instance an MPI configuration error could lead to running every instance of abinip on a single node); or if it really tries to allocate much more memory than what was foreseen in memana.
PMA

mverstra

Post by mverstra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:31 pm

As a follow up to PM's post: the memory estimation for kgb is unfortunately not very precise yet. I have also had these problems, and in practice it's just that abinit really does need much more memory (than 1Gb) and is trying to allocate it.

matthieu
Matthieu Verstraete
University of Liege, Belgium

bourgeois
Location: Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, CNRS Orsay (France)

Post by bourgeois » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi,

I did some tests on my own and read the post "Memory usage OpenMPI configuration", this looks closely related to the problem I got... So I'll post a comment on that thread instead of here :)
Thanks for your answers,

Antonin
Antonin Bourgeois
Postdoc @ Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, Université Paris-sud Orsay