Self consistent field convergence not reaching

Total energy, geometry optimization, DFT+U, spin....

Moderator: bguster

Seba Darshan

Self consistent field convergence not reaching

Post by Seba Darshan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:24 am

Dear Abinit users

I am very sad to say that for my last few posts in the forum, I didn't get any reply.
I am posting my problem now with a hope that someone will help me with some suggestions.

I am trying to optimize water molecule on aluminium doped graphene. Even after 182 iteration steps, the self consistent field is not converging.
I have used toldff 5.0d-5, nstep as 200.

Could someone tell me what could be the problem that leads to this non-convergence.

Regards
Seba

jzwanzig

Re: Self consistent field convergence not reaching

Post by jzwanzig » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Well, you probably have a difficult system. Did you do lots of control experiments? Did you make sure that your model of Al-doped graphene itself gives predictions that agree with expt or intuition? Did you make sure you can accurately model an H2O molecule on a simpler surface, say pure Al or pure graphene?
Josef W. Zwanziger
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Canada Research Chair in NMR Studies of Materials
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS B3H 4J3 Canada
jzwanzig@gmail.com

Seba Darshan

Re: Self consistent field convergence not reaching

Post by Seba Darshan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:31 pm

jzwanzig wrote:Well, you probably have a difficult system. Did you do lots of control experiments? Did you make sure that your model of Al-doped graphene itself gives predictions that agree with expt or intuition? Did you make sure you can accurately model an H2O molecule on a simpler surface, say pure Al or pure graphene?

Dear Sir

Thank you for the reply.
In the reported research articles, GGA of PBE approximation was used for modelling H2O molecule on Al-doped or pure graphene. That's why I tried using the same and with GGA, I am getting the warning message that "nstep =200 was not enough SCF cycles to converge".

I was able to model Aluminium doped graphene alone using GGA of PBE, the results are close to previously reported theoretical results. But I am having convergence issues on optimizing the geometry of H2O on Al-doped graphene. Can you please suggest what could be possible reasons for this SCF convergence issue.

Thanks in Advance
Seba