Murnaghan equation for lattice parameters???

Total energy, geometry optimization, DFT+U, spin....

Moderator: bguster

new_986

Murnaghan equation for lattice parameters???

Post by new_986 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi everybody...
I'm trying to determine lattice constant (a) for BN by calculating the total energy for different values of a using ABINIT, then chose the one which correspond the minimum value of energy, Is this convenient way to determine a ??
the second question, Is Murnaghan equation implemented in the Abinit??

Thanks...
with regards...

jzwanzig

Re: Murnaghan equation for lattice parameters???

Post by jzwanzig » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Well, you can determine the lattice constants the way you say, but I think it is much easier and more robust to use the ionmov and optcell inputs. Is there a reason why you are doing it directly without making use of ionmov and optcell?

Secondly, the Murnahan eqn is not coded in abinit, what you would do is extract the total energies and unit cell volumes from a series of runs and paste them into a graphing program or script of your own to do the equation fit.
Josef W. Zwanziger
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Canada Research Chair in NMR Studies of Materials
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS B3H 4J3 Canada
jzwanzig@gmail.com

new_986

Re: Murnaghan equation for lattice parameters???

Post by new_986 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 am

jzwanzig wrote:Well, you can determine the lattice constants the way you say, but I think it is much easier and more robust to use the ionmov and optcell inputs. Is there a reason why you are doing it directly without making use of ionmov and optcell?

Secondly, the Murnahan eqn is not coded in abinit, what you would do is extract the total energies and unit cell volumes from a series of runs and paste them into a graphing program or script of your own to do the equation fit.

To me, the way I'm using is easier than the way what is using ionmove, but the Murnahan eqn. gives bulk modules too.
the second suggestion is good.
thanks a lot with best regards