about video card acceleration

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
zjuer

about video card acceleration

Post by zjuer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 am

Hello everyone,
I want to buy a video card to accelerate abinit, my problem is (1) Is the capacity of the memory of video card important, is there a great difference between a video card with 1GB memory and that with 2GB memory? Is gtx460 proper for my purpose, or what's your recommendation, around $200? Thanks.

pouillon

Re: about video card acceleration

Post by pouillon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 pm

This is not as simple as that, and you may not always get better performances with more memory, since a lot of data has to be transferred from the main memory to the GPU - and vice-versa. These transfers can become a bottleneck under some circumstances, and actually slow down the calculations.

There are in any case many criteria to take into account:
  • the kind of calculations you want to perform;
  • the typical size of your systems;
  • the tunability of your input parameters for this kind of architecture;
  • whether the GPU is connected to a screen, in which case performances might drop significantly;
  • the capabilities and limitations of the implementation;
Buying a GPU only for Abinit might also be a little overkill. You probably should think about using it for other codes as well.
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain

zjuer

Re: about video card acceleration

Post by zjuer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 am

Thank you for your enlightening suggestions.