seq & paral run of abinit (6.0.x)

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
mmikami

seq & paral run of abinit (6.0.x)

Post by mmikami » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:21 am

Dear all,

When I tried to run abinit as sequential like this:
~/abinit-6.0.2/src/98_main/abinit < input.files >& output.log
I got an error message:
isfile : ERROR -
Checks for existence of file input.in
but INQUIRE finds file does not exist. Action : check file name and re-run.

But, when I run abinit as parallel with the same input (in the same directory):
/usr/local/mpich-intel91/bin/mpirun -np 1 -machinefile "blah-blah-blah" ~/abinit-6.0.2/src/98_main/abinit < input.files >& output.log
I got no errors... seemed successful.

Did I forget to configure anything ??
It might be related to the error that I reported before ? (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=61)

Regards,
Masayoshi

pouillon

Re: seq & paral run of abinit (6.0.x)

Post by pouillon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

If you configured Abinit with --enable-mpi, running in serial mode may produce unexpected results, which depend on the MPI implementation you use.

If you want to be able to run both serial and parallel versions, the best is likely to build Abinit twice, once with --enable-mpi and the other with --disable-mpi. To easily differentiate the binaries, you may of course use the --program-suffix option of configure, which will change the names of the executables when you run "make install".

E.g.:

Code: Select all

mkdir tmp-serial && cd tmp-serial && ../configure --disable-mpi --program-suffix="-serial" --prefix="$HOME/hpc" && make && cd src/98_main && make install
mkdir tmp-mpi && cd tmp-mpi && ../configure --enable-mpi --with-mpi-prefix=/usr/local/openmpi --program-suffix="-mpi" --prefix="$HOME/hpc" && make && cd src/98_main && make install

will put all binaries in $HOME/hpc/bin/ without overwriting the files.
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain

mmikami

[SOLVED] seq & paral run of abinit (6.0.x)

Post by mmikami » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:25 am

Merci beaucoup! It has been solved.