Installation of ABINIT in blue gene

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
swasti

Installation of ABINIT in blue gene

Post by swasti » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 am

Hi,
I want to install abinit6.4.3 in IBM blue gene. I tried ./configure which gave the following error:

==============================================================================
=== Fortran support ===
==============================================================================

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking whether /opt/ibmcmp/xlf/bg/11.1/bin/blrts_xlf accepts -g... yes
checking which type of Fortran compiler we have... ibm 11.1
checking fortran 90 modules extension... mod
checking for Fortran flag to compile .F90 files... none
configure: determining Fortran module case
checking whether Fortran modules are upper-case... no
checking how to get verbose linking output from /opt/ibmcmp/xlf/bg/11.1/bin/blrts_xlf... -v
checking for Fortran libraries of /opt/ibmcmp/xlf/bg/11.1/bin/blrts_xlf... -L/opt/ibmcmp/xlsmp/bg/1.7/blrts_lib -L/opt/ibmcmp/xlmass/bg/4.4/blrts_lib -L/opt/ibmcmp/xlf/bg/11.1/blrts_lib -L/bgl/BlueLight/V1R3M4_300_2008-080728/ppc/blrts-gnu/lib/gcc/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu/3.4.3 -L/bgl/BlueLight/V1R3M4_300_2008-080728/ppc/blrts-gnu/lib/gcc/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu/lib -lxlf90 -lxlopt -lxlomp_ser -lxl -lxlfmath -lm
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... unknown
configure: error: in `/gpfs/bglscratch/usr/Software/abinit-6.4.3':
configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
See `config.log' for more details.

What might be the problem? Is there any other way to install abinit in blue gene?

Thanks

Alain_Jacques

Re: Installation of ABINIT in blue gene

Post by Alain_Jacques » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello Swasti,

It looks like configure complains when trying to link a simple fortran code. Have a look on config.log for the (last) offending test and it should give you a clue for a corrective action - like adding FCFLAGS ... Sorry I cannot be more specific without a copy of the file.

Abinit is routinely (i.e. several times a day) tested with xlf 9 and 12 (and POE). You'll find the corresponding environment in doc/config/build-examples/bb_power6-xlf_ibm6_serial.ac and bb_power6-xlf_ibm6.ac The content should be adapted to your system particularities but it'll give you sound information about working options. The files are in the autoconf format. The content can be retrofitted to configure flags (most of the time by swapping _ and - i.e. enable_64bit_flags="yes" becomes configure --enable-64bit-flag="yes"). Alternatively copy the .ac to your /home/xxx/.abinit/build/hostname.ac (adapt hostname to your system) and use a plain configure to read the options file.

Kind regards,

Alain

pouillon

Re: Installation of ABINIT in blue gene

Post by pouillon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm

You can also copy the config file at the top of your source tree, if you wish to play with it more easily.
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain