make problem for 6.4.1 on RHEL5

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
tglotch

make problem for 6.4.1 on RHEL5

Post by tglotch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm trying to install abinit 6.4.1 on a Linux box running RHEL5. I put the tar.gz file in /usr/local and unzipped it. I then did a simple ./configure, which worked with no problems. When I tried make, I got the following error message:

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1'
Making all in prereqs
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs'
Making all in linalg
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg'
make -f ../../prereqs/linalg/linalg.mk
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg'
lapack-abinit_6.0 has been uncompressed.
touch configure-stamp
lapack-abinit_6.0 has been configured.
cd blas && make FC="gfortran" FCFLAGS=" -ffixed-form -g -O3 -mtune=native -march=native -funroll-loops -ffast-math" AR="ar" ARFLAGS="rc" RANLIB="ranlib"
make[5]: Entering directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg/blas'
gfortran -ffixed-form -g -O3 -mtune=native -march=native -funroll-loops -ffast-math -c caxpy.f
caxpy.f:0: error: bad value (native) for -march= switch
caxpy.f:0: error: bad value (native) for -mtune= switch
make[5]: *** [caxpy.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg/blas'
make[4]: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg'
make[3]: *** [package-ready] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs/linalg'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1/prereqs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/abinit-6.4.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm using the gnu fortran compiler, installed as gcc-fortran-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2. libgfortran and cpp are installed as the same version. Any help fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

jbeuken

Re: make problem for 6.4.1 on RHEL5

Post by jbeuken » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Hello,

I'm using the gnu fortran compiler, installed as gcc-fortran-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2. libgfortran and cpp are installed as the same version.

the gcc 4.1.2 is not any more supported...

the default parameters for compilation are, among others, "-mtune=native -march=native" not recognized by gcc 4.1.2

try to find a rpm for rhe5 for gcc4.3.x, 4.4.x or 4.5.x ( you can try with the rpm for CentOS 5.x more easier to find ( no tested ) )

regards

jmb
------
Jean-Michel Beuken
Computer Scientist

Alain_Jacques

Post by Alain_Jacques » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm

You'll probably face difficulties finding a recent (>4.2) gcc/gfortran "ready-to-use" rpm toolchain for RH5 because a release of a given linux version is heavily linked to the version of the compilers it has been built with. RH5 is a very solid distribution but it comes with antiquated - and buggy - fortran compilers. You cannot replace the gcc/gfortran binaries and their dependencies without either serious hacking or breaking the system.
So you have several options. Intel offers "free to use" versions of its Linux C and Fortran compilers (look at the conditions) accessible in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/non-commercial-software-development/. Choose the correct ABI. RH5 is well supported; they install in /opt so you'll have to install as root. Read the doc, "source" the appropriate shell scripts and Abinit configure should be able to find the C (icc) and Fortran (ifort) compilers. If you need MPI libs, you'll have to build a specific version for the new compilers. Other option ... download a gcc toolchain source from http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/ and compile a new gcc and gfortran (not such a complicated task but you'll have to build the backing MPC and probably MPFR and GMP libraries as explained in the prerequisites and specify a suitable --prefix). Trick your system by a clever export PATH=newgfortran/bin:$PATH to have the new compilers invoked before the 4.1.2, reconfigure Abinit and now the make should work as advertised. Same story for MPI.

Kind regards,

Alain

tglotch

Post by tglotch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Alain,

Thank you for your help. I installed the Intel Linux C and Fortran compilers on my system. They were installed in /opt/intel. I then did a "source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64"

configure ran with no problem, but when I ran make, I got the same error message. Am I missing a step?

Thank you again for your help.

Tim

Alain_Jacques

Post by Alain_Jacques » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Hello Tim,

I'm - slightly - surprised by the name of the file you have to source; on my system it is invoked by a

Code: Select all

source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh intel64
but I assume it may change with compilers versions. Anyway, as long as a

which icc
and a

which ifort
return the correct full path names to the compilers, it is fine. Also check with an

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
that the source has added the path to the Intel libraries. In my case - with an Intel Fortran 11.1.073, it returns
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/ipp/em64t/sharedlib:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/mkl/lib/em64t:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/tbb/intel64/cc4.1.0_libc2.4_kernel2.6.16.21/lib
. Sorry if all this is obvious for you.

Now, start from a clean abinit source. I suggest to untar the distribution package, cd to abinit-xxx and then create a build subdirectory with a

mkdir tmp-build
. Cd to the tmp-build and create a "local.ac" file to store the configure options (watch, most configure options are written with "-" on the command line but with "_" in the configuration file.

enable_64bit_flags="yes"
enable_mpi="no"
AR=xiar
CC=icc
FC=ifort
CXX=icpc

do a

../configure --with-config-file=./local.ac
then - if configure ran fine a

make && cd tests && make tests_acc
. Check the tests results with

more */*/report

Clean the build stuff between attempts with a

make clean
or delete the whole tmp-build directory.
For production, I compile an optimized and static binary with the following local.ac file ...

enable_64bit_flags="yes"
enable_mpi="no"
enable_debug="no"
enable_fft="yes"
with_fft_flavor="fftw3-mkl"
enable_linalg="yes"
with_linalg_flavor="mkl"
with_linalg_libs="-L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/mkl/lib/em64t -Wl,--start-group -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential -lmkl_core -Wl,--end-group -lpthread"
enable_gw_dpc="no"
AR=xiar
CC=icc
FC=ifort
CXX=icpc
CFLAGS="-xHOST -O3 -fp-model precise -funroll-loops -static"
CXXFLAGS="-xHOST -O3 -fp-model precise -funroll-loops -static"
FCFLAGS="-xHOST -O3 -fp-model precise -funroll-loops -static"
FC_LDFLAGS_EXTRA="-static"

Does it work for you?

Alain