Newbie Question

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
chcastan

Newbie Question

Post by chcastan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:28 pm

I want to simulate impact of heavy high energy ions (e.g. fission fragments) on chemical molecules. A friend suggested ABINIT for trying to simulate the the system. I just came to the ABINIT website, but I see relatively few topics in the forums (a few in 2017, and 2018). Is ABINIT a good software choice or should I be looking at something else? Maybe ABINIT is becoming less used in benefit of some other package out there? Thank you very much for any guidance you can provide.

Carlos H.

ebousquet

Re: Newbie Question

Post by ebousquet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Dear Carlos,
Abinit can do the job, no problem. Now if the system is big and you need vacuum around, a non-plane wave code could be more interesting (or those without periodic boundary conditions).
Best wishes,
Eric