Configure error with Abinit-7.8.2 on Ubuntu14.04  [SOLVED]

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
johnnyw

Configure error with Abinit-7.8.2 on Ubuntu14.04

Post by johnnyw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 am

Dear devolper and users,
I tried to configure abinit-7.8.2 with the suggested recipe by this forum ( i.e. same as abinit-7.6.3 for Ubuntu 13.04), but on the newest ubuntu14.04. I got an error related to etsf_io, error message is as follow
configure: error: external etsf_io support does not work

When I delete all the etsf_io configure scripts in the .ac file, the cofiguration went well. but the 'make' process terminated unexpected with error information also related to etsf (check the attachments)

could you show me how to solve this problem?

Many thanks,

Johnny
Attachments
ac file.in
.ac file
(555 Bytes) Downloaded 423 times
error info during make.in
error duiring make
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 406 times

Jordan

Re: Configure error with Abinit-7.8.2 on Ubuntu14.04

Post by Jordan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 pm

The reason is simple : on Ubuntu 14.04, the package containing etsf_io was not compiled with the same default compiler (gcc4.8.2) therefore the module file are not compatible and you try to compile something with those .mod file you have this error.

The easiest fix is to download etsf_io and compile it or just use the fallback.

I've attached a script (download it, rename it install.sh and make sure you can execute it (chmod u+x install.sh)) that should install abinit with the same features than the recipe on the forum. It has been tested on a brand new Ubuntu14.04
You will need a internet connection.
All the fallbacks are downloaded and compiled separetely in $HOME/Downloads and installed in $HOME/Codes.
You can replace this install directory by whatever you want, just edit the script and change line 12

Code: Select all

INSTALLDIR=$HOME/Codes

It has never been tested by someone else than I so let me know if there is any issue.

Cheers

Jordan
Attachments
install.sh.in
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

johnnyw

Post by johnnyw » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 am

Dear Jordan,
Thank you very much for your kind help. I have run the script you gave to me. It went well initially untill following error message came up :( .

Making all in src/low_level
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/low_level'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/low_level'
Making all in src/group_level
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/group_level'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/group_level'
Making all in src/utils
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/utils'
gfortran -I/usr/include -I../../src/low_level -I../../src/group_level -g -O2 -I/usr/include -c -o etsf_io_file.o etsf_io_file.f90
etsf_io_file.f90:29.6:

use etsf_io_low_level
Fatal Error: Cannot read module file 'etsf_io_low_level.mod' opened at (1), because it was created by a different version of GNU Fortran
make[1]: *** [etsf_io_file.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johnnyw/Downloads/etsf_io-1.0.4/src/utils'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Many thanks,
Johnny

pouillon

Re: Configure error with Abinit-7.8.2 on Ubuntu14.04  [SOLVED]

Post by pouillon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

In order to avoid any possible confusion for the compiler, you have to first remove the etsf-io* packages from your system before recompiling from the source.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove etsf-io libetsf-io-dev
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain

johnnyw

Post by johnnyw » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:22 am

Dear Jordan and Yann ,
After I did what Yann told me, i successfully install Abinit-7.8.2 on my Ubuntu14.04 with Jordan's script. Now, it works well. Thank you both a lot for helping me to work this out :D . You guys are amazing.
Best regards,
Johnny

GSRush

Post by GSRush » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am

Jordan wrote:I've attached a script (download it, rename it install.sh and make sure you can execute it (chmod u+x install.sh)) that should install abinit with the same features than the recipe on the forum. It has been tested on a brand new Ubuntu14.04

Cheers
Jordan

Thank you! It's work for me too.
However, I had to change the date in Ubuntu to 2014 year.