installing packages

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
hn61

installing packages

Post by hn61 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

Dear all,

When I want to install packages such as gfortran by "sudo apt-get -y install gcc g++ gfortran"

I received this message:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gcc

It happened the same for other packages like patch and fftw3.

could you please tell me what is the problem?

Thank you

Alain_Jacques

Re: installing packages

Post by Alain_Jacques » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi dear,

Although your question has exactly zero relation with Abinit, my best answer is that the package gcc doesn't exist (anymore) for your distribution. Assuming that you have a Debian based distribution - as you're using apt - try to update the package database with a sudo apt-get update and then install the all-in-one no fuss package to compile (almost) everything with a sudo apt-get install build-essential.

Any improvement?

Alain

pouillon

Re: installing packages

Post by pouillon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 pm

And if you want to install all requirements to build Abinit in one command, just type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install science-nanoscale-physics-dev

This will work provided that you're using the default package repositories, and not ones provided a third party (like your university). If you don't know what this is about, just ask to the administrator of the computer where you want to install the packages and/or consult the documentation of your Linux distribution.
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain