Intel mkl library

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
paulfons

Intel mkl library

Post by paulfons » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 am

I have compiled abinit under opensuse 11.4 using the intel compilers and openmpi without error. I would like to use the intel mpi libraries I have (they are more efficient when used with Wien2K at least in my experience), but I am unsure how to go about doing so. The problem stems from the intel naming convention for its mkl libraries. The "usual" naming mpif90 and mpicc point within the intel mpi system use the gcc compilers. There are alternative version of the mpi command for intel's mpi wrappers, namely mpiifort and mpiicc. How can I get abinit to use these wrappers instead of the usual mpif90 wrappers which use the gcc compiler?

jbeuken

Re: Intel mkl library

Post by jbeuken » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi,

I have not yet the opportunity to test the version of mph with Intel Composer XE 2011...

but, in the "Intel® Math Kernel Library Link Line Advisor" ( http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... e-advisor/),

you can find all infos needed and among other things, the compilation option to use with fort to activate the mph

Code: Select all

-mkl=cluster 

you must set the environment with :

source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64

to link with the right libraries and you can even find the mpiexec :

[beuken@tikal intel]# which mpiexec
/opt/intel/composer_xe_2011_sp1.7.256/mpirt/bin/intel64/mpiexec

good luck...

regards

jmb
------
Jean-Michel Beuken
Computer Scientist

paulfons

Post by paulfons » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 am

Thank you for your comments on use of the Intel mpi library. I am afraid I was a little unclear, I am using the Intel already successfully (in particular with the Wien2K code -- and it appears to be more efficient than openmpi 1.4.3). I thus know the correct flags (obtained from the linker helper you forwarded). The problem I am facing is the configure of abinit. How do I get it to use the ifort and icc compilers with mpi and not the gcc ones -- e.g. if one uses the ./configure --with-mpi-prefix=/opt/intel/impi/4.0.4/ option, abinit will compile with the gcc compilers (it doesn't know to use the mpiifort and mpiicc versions of the wrappers). Is there a straightforward way to fix this with ./configure options?

Thanks,
Paul Fons

pouillon

Post by pouillon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:55 pm

From Abinit 6.12.2, you may set --with-mpi-prefix and CC, CXX, FC at the same time. Just set the compilers to the executables you want the MPI wrappers to use. If your MPI installation allows it, which you can easily check by typing:

export FC=ifort; mpif90 -show
, you'll be able to build Abinit with any kind of compiler.

This new feature of the build system still lacks robustness, but I'm already using it successfully with the MPI implementation of Bull (I originally implemented this feature for this particular case).
Yann Pouillon
Simune Atomistics
Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain

paulfons

Post by paulfons » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 am

Thank you for your post. I shall give it a try.

Paul

paulfons

Re: Intel mkl library compiled

Post by paulfons » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 am

I tried the switches as suggested to specify the ifort and icc compilers and abinit 6.12.12 compiled without problems and passed all of the tests I have run so far. Now if I could get the version for the mac working I would be happy.