calculating abinit in windows

option, parallelism,...

Moderators: fgoudreault, mcote

Forum rules
Please have a look at ~abinit/doc/config/build-config.ac in the source package for detailed and up-to-date information about the configuration of Abinit 8 builds.
For a video explanation on how to build Abinit 7.x for Linux, please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppLQ-KQA68.
IMPORTANT: when an answer solves your problem, please check the little green V-like button on its upper-right corner to accept it.
raff

calculating abinit in windows

Post by raff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:02 pm

hello!!!
I downloaded a zip file with Abinit for windows, but I can't run it, the file have various .exe abinit.exe,
cut3d.exe.... but I can't run any of them, what I have to do???

Alain_Jacques

Re: calculating abinit in windows

Post by Alain_Jacques » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Hello Raff,

As there are several versions of Abinit for Windows available :? would you please tell me which one you downloaded: from http://www.etsf.eu or http://www.abinit.org - explanations are different for each of them. The .exe binaries are command line utilities - you have to open a command prompt and launch them with the classic "abinit < input_file >output_file" scheme as explained in the docs. So when you say that you cannot "run" them, what do you do? what happens?

Kind regards,

Alain

jbeuken

Post by jbeuken » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Raff,

thank Alain ( ;) ) for your answer....

if it's the 64bits version, first of all, thank you for your feedback... :mrgreen:
have you read the very, very, very little, alpha "README" file ? :oops:
there is a "Quick Start" section : is it so incomprehensible explanations ?

ok , I'm not fluence in English and in Window$...

then, your help is inestimable to improve the doc...

regards

jmb
------
Jean-Michel Beuken
Computer Scientist

raff

Post by raff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Hello
thanks very much Alain Jacques
I downloaded from http://www.etsf.eu
I tested it in other computer, it is a virtual machine Windows XP in a Ubuntu 10.04 and it ran successfully,
I think.
I don't know now what happened in the former computer, Could be possible that it was related to the service pack?,
it reads "was tested on windows xp system with sp3"

I can't say now what did the abinit displays in the other pc, then I when return to the other pc I post the message

by the way, it has nothing to do with this theme but do you know how to find free the book
Electronic Structure of R. M. Martin that always is cited in the abinit tutorials???

thanks again
rafael

Alain_Jacques

Post by Alain_Jacques » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello Raff,

I built the etsf.eu packages on XP sp3 (i.e. 32 bit binaries) but it would be quite surprising that a service pack level changes the behavior. It has been tested successfully with Windows 7 too (32 or 64 bit version). I've provided separate distributions for Intel or AMD processors - it's maybe a bit confusing; anyway be sure to grab the right one otherwise the binaries will immediately fail. Another possibility - if you run Abinit in parallel with the provided mpiexec launcher - is that Windows firewall asks to authorize the application to communicate - say yes, nothing fishy here: MPI uses sockets between threads, nothing goes on Internet.

Kind regards,

Alain

Alain_Jacques

Post by Alain_Jacques » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:35 pm

... oh yes, Martin's book. Don't expect too much to obtain details here on how to scoop it from the net. Richard is a hero here; you wouldn't rip a hero? It's not cheap one but, being very readable, it's definitely recommended - borrow it from your local library, man, it deserves it and at least you won't catch a pdf virus.

Alain

raff

Post by raff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:53 pm

thanks very much!!!

:oops: sorry for asking for this book, I'm very far of see this book, I only sow in the index int the net,
it is very useful