Running Tutorials in Ubuntu

Documentation, Web site and code modifications

Moderators: baguetl, routerov

loniarf

Running Tutorials in Ubuntu

Post by loniarf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Hey all,
I have successfully installed Abinit-6.4.1 on my machine, running Ubuntu. Everything seems to be fine, the tests all seem to run fine but then when I try to complete the tutorials, it's as if the code isn't doing anything. I use abinit <t1x.files>& log and a log file is produced in my "work" directory, but no other output files are produced. According the tutorial I should see: t11.out t1xo_DDB t1xo_DEN t1xo_EIG t1xo_WFK, in addition to the pre-existing t1x.files and t11.in. None of these other output files are being produced. I would like to learn the code so I can run more complicated simulations on it. Ideas?
L

jzwanzig

Re: Running Tutorials in Ubuntu

Post by jzwanzig » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:18 pm

What's in the log file? Are you sure that the .files file is pointing to the pseudopotential directory correctly? If you copied it from the test tree to a work directory, it won't be correct--it will still point to the Psps_for_tests directory relative to its original location, and you will have to adjust this.
Josef W. Zwanziger
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Canada Research Chair in NMR Studies of Materials
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS B3H 4J3 Canada
jzwanzig@gmail.com

mverstra

Post by mverstra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 am

sometimes nothing will be printed to log if the buffering of your shell is too long. Try running without re-directing output, and see what abinit complains about.

Matthieu
Matthieu Verstraete
University of Liege, Belgium

condmat

Post by condmat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm

loniarf wrote:Hey all,
I have successfully installed Abinit-6.4.1 on my machine, running Ubuntu. Everything seems to be fine, the tests all seem to run fine but then when I try to complete the tutorials, it's as if the code isn't doing anything. I use abinit <t1x.files>& log and a log file is produced in my "work" directory, but no other output files are produced. According the tutorial I should see: t11.out t1xo_DDB t1xo_DEN t1xo_EIG t1xo_WFK, in addition to the pre-existing t1x.files and t11.in. None of these other output files are being produced. I would like to learn the code so I can run more complicated simulations on it. Ideas?
L

I guess I am experiencing a similar problem. After installing abinit via apt-get ... I wanted to play around with tutorials but so far I haven't been able to find the path of the tutorials folder. I would very much appreciate if you can tell me where the tutorials folder is located in you ubuntu machine. Or is the problem that abinit is not installed properly?

condmat

Post by condmat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm

condmat wrote:
loniarf wrote:Hey all,
L

I guess I am experiencing a similar problem. After installing abinit via apt-get ... I wanted to play around with tutorials but so far I haven't been able to find the path of the tutorials folder. I would very much appreciate if you can tell me where the tutorials folder is located in you ubuntu machine. Or is the problem that abinit is not installed properly?

I take it back. It looks like tutorials are properly installed, and they are located in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/doc/abinit-doc/tutorials/
. In my earliest opportunity, I will try to reproduce the problem that you experienced, and post the result here.