[SOLVED] Probable bug in the ddk calculation or optic

Phonons, DFPT, electron-phonon, electric-field response, mechanical response…

Moderators: mverstra, joaocarloscabreu

Robin

[SOLVED] Probable bug in the ddk calculation or optic

Post by Robin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Dear developers,

As I mentioned earlier (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1153), I found that ABINIT (both 6.2.2 and 6.8.1) gives wrong linear optical spectrum in several 1D systems by using the usual procedures. Here I elaborate this issue with a simple example of carbon chain.

The known procedures to get linear optical spectrum are as follows: (1) SCF calculation to get the electron density of ground state; (2) NSCF calculation to get wavefunction with denser k-point grid and more empty bands; (3) ddk calculation to get the derivatives of wavefunction with respect to k, and then using optic program to get the dielectric function.

In the case of carbon chain system, I find that the (2)-step must be SCF to get correct optical results, which are confirmed by calculations of YAMBO and CASTEP. To simplify the explanation, I did the following tests: (a) generate the KSS by using ABINIT, which also outputs WFK; (b) calculate the ddk and spectrum by using both ABINIT and YAMBO. I find that YAMBO gives correct spectrum whether the (a)-step is NSCF or SCF, while ABINIT give wrong result when the (a)-step is NSCF. This clearly shows that there must be some problem. Test files and comparison graph are attached for your confirmation.

An interesting phenomenon possibly indicates the cause: only 1 SCF step in (a) is enough for ABINIT to get correct result, though I also tried 1000 steps! Maybe the ddk calculation or optic analysis does get correct information from a NSCF wavefunction.

Because this ddk calculation and optic analysis are relevant to several other RF calculations, like IR and Raman, this issue really matters. I am looking forward to detail analyses from you.

Sincerely,
Guangfu Luo

P.S. I checked the file-header of the NSCF and SCF WFK and did find differences: in the NSCF WFK, there are 2 fully occupied bands (4 electrons) according to “occ”, while in the SCF WFK, there are 3 fully occupied bands (6 electrons). The unit cell contains only 1 carbon atom.
Attachments
Carbon-chain-test.tar.bz2.in
remove suffix .in
(207.9 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

mverstra

Re: Probable bug in the ddk calculation or optic analysis

Post by mverstra » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:21 am

Hello Guangfu,

the main difference between the scf and non scf wf files should be the occupation numbers. This is also linked to whether you use iscf = -2 or -3. Could you check the occupations you get in both cases for the optics run? Or just from the WF files with cut3d, check the header.

Matthieu
Matthieu Verstraete
University of Liege, Belgium

jzwanzig

Post by jzwanzig » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Also, the DDK calculation requires only filled bands, no partially filled or empty bands.
Josef W. Zwanziger
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Canada Research Chair in NMR Studies of Materials
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS B3H 4J3 Canada
jzwanzig@gmail.com

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 am

Dear Matthieu and Zwanziger,

Thank you both for the information. As Matthieu pointed out, the occupations in SCF and NSCF WFK are different. After switching iscf=-2 to iscf=-3 (the later initializes occ and wtk), I got correct optical spectra again!

So the cause could be the incorrect band filling in the WFK from iscf=-2, which causes incorrect electron transition in the optic analysis?

Sincerely,
Guangfu Luo